Does jumping into the water in a wetsuit and swimming beneath impressive waterfalls catch your attention?
If you want to know what canyoning is and why it’s so awesome, you are in the right place.
At Local Experiences, we consider ourselves undying fans of this adventurous sport that hooks anyone who tries it.
Do you want to know why we love it so much? Well, here are a few of the reasons.
What is canyoning?
First of all, let’s start with a little introduction about the activity so you can understand what canyoning is to avoid confusing it with other sports.
Canyoning is an adventure sport that consists of going through canyons, cliffs or channels of a river that runs through a mountain, either on foot or by swimming
Although they are related, canyoning is different from other adventure sports such as climbing or hiking because in this case, the most important element is water.
Almost anyone can do it (although there are some exceptions), but before you just jump into it, pay close attention to the next section because we are going to tell you what you need to know to be 100% prepared.
What is the essential equipment used in canyoning?
As in any other sport, you need to know some rules and the needed materials before you start.
The truth is that canyoning is a sport with certain risks. That’s why we always recommend being accompanied by professionals who keep you safe, especially if you’re a beginner.
Material and equipment required for canyoning
The first thing you need to consider when getting ready to practice is having the required materials.
If you book the activity with a specialized company, generally they provide you with all the needed equipment. In this case, the only thing you need to bring is a swimsuit, sports shoes, dry clothes, and a desire to have fun.
If you are doing it on your own, it’s a whole different ball game. Here’s what you will need:
- Wetsuit. Normally almost the entire route is done by water. Spoiler: mountain river water is usually quite cold.
- Helmet. It is very important to protect yourself against rock slides, falling into the water, or even colliding with other people.
- Harness. This will allow you to descend through the cliffs safe and sound. It must be in good condition as well as being water-resistant and non-absorbent so that it does not deteriorate due to humidity.
- Rope, carabiners and anchor ropes. These materials will be the ones protecting you from falls and will help you rappel down while the person in charge releases the rope.
- Gloves to avoid burns when gripping the ropes and to protect you from cuts.
- Waterproof bottle and backpack to transport your valuables such as your wallet, mobile phone, food or dry clothes without getting wet.
- Something important about footwear is that, contrary to what you might think, booties or any type of sandals are not recommended. Ideally, your footwear should be a mountain sports shoe, suitable for walking on stones and resistant to possible slips, sprains or strains.
Take into account that if you are a beginner, you should always practice this activity with qualified professionals and materials. At the end of the day, it is your safety that is at stake and you need to know who is in charge, right?
Safety recommendations to practice while canyoning
Now that we’ve covered materials and equipment, here you are some safety recommendations you need to know:
- Be familiar with the route or be accompanied by someone who is. Never go on a route for the first time unless you are an expert, or you don’t value your life.
- When going in a group as a beginner, make sure the route difficulty is right for your level. That way you can know if you can make it to the end without dying in the process.
- Before starting, check the weather forecast to make sure there will be no storms or any other inclimate weather that may get in your way.
- Before jumping, check how deep the water is and how many rocks there are, you don’t want to fall on them and hurt yourself. That’s why it is really important to be familiar with the route.
- Don’t go if you are not fit enough. By no means do you need to be Iron Man, but this is a hiking route.
Now you know the needed materials and recommended safety information.
Now, here comes the fun part: let’s talk about all the benefits of canyoning and all the positive vibes you feel during and after the activity.
Why do we love canyoning?
Do you really think we’d let you go without telling you about the fun part!?
Now that you know what is fundamental, we are going to tell you what canyoning means for us, why we love it and the reasons behind our passion.
#1 Canyoning is pure adrenaline
If you love feeling strong emotions like we do, canyoning is the perfect sport for you.
When you jump into the water and descend through the rocks you will feel freedom, adrenaline and exhilaration incomparable to almost anything.
Besides, it also has positive benefits for your mental health.
Adventurous sports such as canyoning can help us forget about worries, improve our mood, and alleviate stress or anxiety issues.
#2 Canyoning puts us in better physical shape
Canyoning is physically demanding: you get to climb rocks, jump into the water and walk on stones.
That means we’ll burn calories, tone our muscles and bones, and improve our resistance and balance.
Just a heads up! The first time you try it you’ll be pretty stiff afterwards – more than if you were at the gym!
#3 Canyoning connects us with nature
How many chances do you have in your daily life to enjoy waterfalls and mountains while listening to the sound of the water?
Practicing adventure sports helps us connect with nature, be more aware of the planet where we are living and flow with life.
Perhaps now you understand why we love it so much! 😉
Go canyoning and leave your worries in the mountains
This has been our mini guide on what is canyoning, what do you need to know before trying it and its benefits.
Now, one last doubt remains: Where and how are you going to start?
Come with us on these amazing routes in the Malaga mountains:
The first one is the Almanchares cliff.
A descent with a lot of adventure (suspension bridge included!) where you will enjoy wild landscapes full of nature.
And if you also love culture, this route includes an optional visit to Canillas de Aceituno.
The second one is the well-known Río Verde cliff.
This is one of the most popular canyoning routes in Andalucia, which is not surprising because the tour runs through a spectacular environment filled with nature and crystal clear waters.
What do you think? Do you dare to feel the adrenaline of descending a cliff and enjoying a day full of nature and fun?
We are looking forward to seeing you on any one of our routes!